Silva salvages three for Gor Mahia in Bukhungu

Brazilian import Wilson Silva scored at the death to hand Gor Mahia FC three points in Bukhungu, a tough hunting ground for BetKing Premier League teams as the champions dispatched hosts Kakamega Homeboyz 2-1 in the midweek encounter.

Homeboyz had taken a first half lead through Christopher Masinza but Gor equalised through Tito Okello before sealing the full set of points through Silva.

John Macharia could have given the visitors the lead in the 8th minute but Geoffrey Oputi wisely came off his line to thwart the attack. Sensing that the defending champions had come for nothing short of a win, Homeboyz pressed highly and caught Boniface Oluoch- reluctant with a back pass, to fire in the lead. Christopher Masinza had done this all alone.

Falling back to soak in the pressure from Gor, Homeboyz were forced into tackles at the middle of the park and this saw Left-back Collins Okoth earn the match’s first warning for a foul on Samuel Onyango. Ernest Wendo would be next on the referee’s book after a professional foul on Chris Masinza at the halfway line through on goal.

Homeboyz carried the slim lead into the break.

Clifton Miheso was withdrawn nine minutes after the restart in favour of Tito Okello who would be on the scoresheet a minute later.

1-1 at the hour mark and there was all to play for as both teams were just coming from losses in their recent fixtures.

Homeboyz were reduced to ten men in the 72nd minute when left-back Thomas Wainaina retaliated against Samuel Onyango in an off the ball incident. Coach Nicholas Muyoti had to dig deep from his bench to offset this loss.

Throwing in Eshihanda Ben and Moses Mudavadi, Muyoti pulled out Stephen Etyang and Ghanaian import Alex Opoku.

It was the visitors, however, who left it late to win the clash as Silva tapped in a rebound from a 94th minute corner kick. The match would end as soon as Homeboyz restarted play.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.