Two goals from Ezekiel Odera and Nicholas Kipkirui on either side of a stunning Washington Munene free kick was all Nairobi City Stars needed to avenge their first leg defeat and grab all three points against AFC Leopards in a BetKing Premier League match played at Ruaraka grounds on Tuesday afternoon.

Despite heaping pressure late on, the Patrick Aussems led side could not manage to bring themselves back into contention for a second time in the match, City Stars holding on for back to back wins under interim head coach John Amboko.

The first half hour of the game was marked by a very cagey affair, both sides failing to create any clear cut chances that posed any danger.

The only attempt on target coming from a feeble Peter Thiong’o free kick that was shot directly at the goalkeeper.

On the 34th minute, Odera wheeled off in celebration as City Stars caught the Ingwe defense napping on a counter, left back Bolton Omwenga laying the ball on a plate with a pinpoint cross that the striker coolly slotted past Benjamin Ochan in goal.

Stung into action, Marvin Nabwire almost restored parity for Ingwe just one minute later with the restart, his swivel and turn shot just cannoning off the upright with a hapless Steve Njung’e who had fully stretched unable to do anything about it.

Six minutes to the first half break, Odera wasted a clear chance to put City Stars two to the good as he completely miscued his free header in the box meaning that City Stars only had the narrow one goal advantage by the interval.

Upon second half’s resumption, it is Ingwe who came out guns blazing tricky mwinger Harrison Mwendwa unleashing a fierce shot outside the area that went agonizingly close but just missed the target. 

Their increased pressure would pay off when Washington Munene hammered in a direct free kick to restore parity in the 63rd minute.

That equalizer would however not last long as, just five minutes later, Kipkirui left the goalkeeper rooted to the ground with a low drive into the bottom corner to restore City Stars’ lead in the 68th minute.

That second goal proved to be the final meaningful moment of the game as City Stars snatched all three points.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.